Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
Promote social justice. Balance your commitments. Enhance your career.
Enhance your criminal justice career with a degree that addresses the scientific study of the causes, consequences, prevention, and control of crime.
The Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology degree program consists of three sections:
Major Core Requirements
No specific login times
No waiting — Six start dates per year
Top 20 Ranking for Exceptional Online Education — One of the top 20 Best Online Colleges in North Carolina by Accredited Schools Online. The organization analyzed data from hundreds of schools nationally with online Bachelor’s degrees. Those on the list offer the most notable balance of academic rigor, student support, and affordability for online learning. To view the list, click here.
2016 Best Online Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice — Recognized by OnlineColleges.net as one of the best in the country. “The University of Mount Olive has clearly put great emphasis on creating a program that prepares students for success, and that played a major role in our ranking,” said Dr. Melissa Venable, education editor. The complete evaluation can be found here.
Dr. Charles Everett Robinson was the 2015 recipient of the University of Mount Olive Professor of the Year Award. The award is given in appreciation to a full time faculty member who exemplifies devotion above and beyond the classroom. Students nominate faculty members. The nominations are then considered by a faculty committee which makes the final selection.
Potential Career Options
- Police Officer
- FBI Special Agent
- Private Investigator
- Victim-Witness Advocate
To qualify for admission, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be 21 years of age or older (unless approved by the Vice President of Admissions).
- Possess a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Have the ability to obtain official transcripts from all previously attended institutions.
In order to sign up for online classes at UMO, you must have regular access to the Internet and email, as well as, be familiar with creating, formatting, and attaching Microsoft Word documents.
Degree Course Requirements
Program Course Details
Criminal Justice & Criminology Courses: 39 semester-credit hours
- CJC 370 Criminal Law and Social Control (3)
- CJC 380 Criminal Procedure and Individual Rights (3)
SYSTEMS: (9sh) (Choose 3)
- CJC 310 Juvenile Justice Systems and Processes (3)
- CJC 320 Law Enforcement Systems and Processes (3)
- CJC 330 Court Systems and Processes (3)
- CJC 340 Correctional Systems and Processes (3)
- CJC 350 Criminal Justice Administration (3)
THEORY: (9sh) (Choose 3)
- SOC 345 Sociology of Deviance (3)
- CJC 430 Criminological Theory (3)
- CJC 421 Theoretical Perspectives in Social Science (3)
- CJC 335 Victimology and Advocacy (3)
- CJC 355 Drugs, Crime and Society (3)
- CJC 365 Terrorism and Homeland Security (3)
- CJC 401 Research Methods for Social Sciences (3)
- CJC 405 Data Analysis for Social Science Research (3)
- CJC 496 Senior Research Project (3)
General Elective: 41 semester-credit hours
A degree you can afford.
Tuition & fees:
- $430 per semester-credit hour.
- Active duty military pricing: $215 per semester credit hour
- No Application Fee
- No Technology Fee
- $50 confirmation deposit (applied toward tuition) due upon acceptance of the offer of admission
Students in the Online Program at the University of Mount Olive benefit from generous transfer credit policies. See how affordable it can be to earn a degree.
- $43,860 for students transferring in 24 credits
- $27,090 for students transferring in 63 credits
- $13,760 for students transferring in 94 credits
Financial Aid Breakdown of Online Students*
*Percentage of total students with valid FAFSA who attended either Fall or Spring semester at least half time and submitted a valid 2015/2016 FAFSA. Eligibility for Unsubsidized Direct Loans is 100% as long as the student has not exhausted their lifetime limits. Numbers in the chart included students who may have declined this fund.
Explore some of the other exciting online programs being offered at UMO:
Answer: At the University of Mount Olive, class sizes are small, so you receive focused attention. Coursework is asynchronous and may be completed any time of the day or night from wherever you have an Internet connection. More importantly, our generous transfer credit policies allow you to earn your degree quickly and affordably.
Obtain your Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology from the University of Mount Olive’s Online Programs. Have questions? Contact Erin Wolters, online admissions counselor today!